Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chapter Seven

Let's take a moment to go back to my theory of relativity, shall we? Do we remember what it is? Yes? Lovely.--Oh wait no? Look back then. For those who answered yes, keep that in mind as you read forward.



"Is it true?" I asked.



Sam nodded his head solemnly. "Yup, he's leavin' for good."



It was first period in history class. Kevin had not been in class since the incident last week and another twist had emerged in the student gossip vine.



"So Kevin's moving...away." I repeat, making sure I had the story straight.



"Yup," Sam replies.



I don't know what else to say so I turn my head and looked at his empty seat. I would probably be doing the same thing in Biology class. The whole turn of events had just been...weird, at least the pieces of it that I tried to put together. The abrupt interruption of the Vice Principal, the fight at lunch, the absences....



And now this?



I turn my head back to face Sam again. "Do you know where?"



By now his head was down on his desk, ready for his morning nap. "Winchester," he sleepily muttered.



"He's moving to a suburb?!" And a rich one at that!



"Uh-huh," Sam yawned. "I dunno, really. I just heard. Aren't you not supposed to listen to gossip?"



"Not when it's something like that!" You would've thought my exclamations would have caught the attention of my whole class, but the truth was, everyone was self-absorbed in the same subject with whoever was right next to them. The thing was, they were just as clueless as us. No one had known why Kevin was leaving exactly. More specifically, no one really know how last week's events connected to this.



With Sam now sound asleep, I listened to the multitude of voices which all proposed their own ideas.



"...maybe he'll be safe over there?"



"I bet he has issues..."



"...so weird..."



"...he living there?"



"...SEIP I bet..."



SEIP.



The State Education Integration Program. It's one of those programs that was introduced in the sixties when we were all about progression and equality and great stuff like that. Schools around the country were forced to be desegregated, which was a problem from Mississippi to Boston. Naturally, when you say desegregation, you mean sending the minorities to the 80%+ Caucasian populated school districts.

Kevin's bi like me--biracial I meant. Half Cape-Verdean and half Pueto Rican I believe. I have no idea what kind of last name 'Getis' is though.

I wonder if he would like it...in that kind of place.

They said SEIP was to "provide more opportunities for students to obtain a beneficial education and the necessary life skills to exceed in life, by providing a less distracting and more friendly environment to learn in."

Pfft. Bullshit.

It's not that I have anything against SEIP.....Well actually I do. I was in it for a year and I'd rather try my chances getting shot on the way to school than stay somewhere I knew I didn't belong in.

I know when some kids mention SEIP, they look at me, because they know I been through it. My mother heard about a shooting near the middle school when I was in the sixth grade and was so freaked out, she applied for me to get bussed everyday at five AM to Bellton High for the seventh grade.

I turn my head and see two girls looking my way: one with a questioning expression on her face, subtly pointing at me mouthing "'Lana?" and the other nodding her head. I wasn't the only one in the school who went to SEIP, just the only one in this class.

I sigh heavily and lay my head down. Please, tell me this class ends soon.

The difference of opinions has now somehow morphed and combined into a resounding conclusion that Kevin is deffinately in SEIP and he will be safe from all harm. I decide to wait for the official report. Ashlee Peterson, the stereotypical loud-ass black girl, is making jokes about black kids in white school. Jessica Picano argues that some of her friends actually liked the program and had friends there. Nick Donovan says that's just because they probably just stuck with the other kids from this school. You can see it around some other kids' faces. They agree with him, even though that's missing the point of the whole integration program. It's true but no one wants to admit it. Yet, at the same time, everyone else has their own belief, even if they know it's not the truth, somehow they still believe it.

Information gathered: Kevin is possibly leaving us for the SEIP.
Information inferred: It's different for everyone I suppose.

No comments: